Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
 

装修与修复

屋顶漏水和其他长期延期的维护问题,以及关于地震稳定性和灭火的现代规范,使得在大教堂里做的不仅仅是拼凑而成。决定大教堂逾期进行翻新和修复。在大教堂的第一世纪,由于试图使大教堂的外观现代化并跟上梵蒂冈第二次大公会议后礼仪的变化,内部发生了许多美学变化。如此之多,以至于它完全失去了凝聚力的维多利亚式设计。因此,还需要修复大教堂的原始主题。

 

在 1998 年安妮·冈萨雷斯 (Anne Gonzalez) 的一篇文章中,她报告说:“萨克拉门托罗马天主教教区已着手对位于第 11 街和 K 街的这座拥有 109 年历史的大教堂进行评估。这项研究将于 9 月底完成,将成为教堂翻修的框架,特别是其独特的 115 英尺高的圆顶。该项目可能需要多年的资金筹集和研究,才能对一座历史长期被时间、天气、以前的修改和缺乏准确记录所掩盖的建筑进行研究。”  

 

计划和执行花费了 5 年时间,耗资 3400 万美元,并要求教区在邻近的教堂敬拜两年,但结果令人震惊,并确保大教堂将在下一个世纪甚至更久之后仍然屹立不倒。

pre-reno angle.jpg
roof interior.jpg

建筑师:

Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners LLP

总承包商:

Harbison-Mahony-Higgins Builders, Inc

施工经理:

华纳建筑管理

Cathedral north.jpg
Cathedral dome 2 cf sm_edited.jpg
pre-reno entrance.jpg
entrance doors.jpg
 

西区和前庭

The Altar

White marble from China and black marble from Spain make up the fifth altar installed in the cathedral. Sealed in the back of the altar is a relic of St. Toribio Romo.

The Apostles

Part of Evergreene Studios artwork, the twelve Apostles are represented along the walls in the nave, and on both sides of the sanctuary.

The Baptismal Font & Well

Placed at the entrance of the cathedral to represent entry into the church through baptism demonstrates the importance of this sacrament. The font is a working fountain reflecting Psalm 42, "Like the deer that yearns for flowing water, so my soul is yearning for you my God."

Bishop Manogue Memorial

Bishop Thomas Grace (1896-1921) commissioned this memorial to the cathedral's founder, Bishop Patrick Manogue, which was originally placed near the altar and moved to the vestibule during the renovation.

Cathedra - The Bishop's Chair

A cathedra (Latin, "chair", from Greek, καθέδρα kathédra, "seat") or bishop's throne is the seat of a bishop. It is a symbol of the bishop's teaching authority in the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Communion churches.

Cartouche

Left: In 1808, Spanish Sea Captain Gabriel Moraga discovers and names the Sacramento River because "Es como el sagrado sacramento (This is like the Holy Sacrament)." Right: In 1850, Father Peter Anderson founded St. Rose of Lima church, the first church in Sacramento, after Peter Burnett, first governor of California, and a Catholic, gave Father Anderson a lot at 7th and K Streets.

Chandeliers

Electric power came to Sacramento in 1895. Until then, the cathedral was illuminated by gas lights. No information on when electric chandeliers were added, but the ones hanging in the cathedral now were refurbished and revamped during the 2005 renovation, including the addition of an outer ring around the incandescent lights.

The Confessionals

The original confessionals were built for the cathedral by Burnett and Sons. A hundred years later, during the renovation, the same company used computers to seamlessly join old sections of the confessionals with new sections, expanding their size and function.

The Crucifix and Crown

The wood sculpted crucifix is thirteen feet tall, and the crown above it is fourteen feet wide. Together they weigh roughly 2,000 pounds, and are suspended with aircraft cables capable of carrying double the weight.

The Dome Restored

While no pictures of the original dome were found, descriptions in newspapers helped designers recreate an inspiring dome motif. Sixteen roundels, each five feet tall, tell the story of the Eucharist, with corresponding bible verses. The 24-foot oculus at the top allows indirect light to illuminate the digital photograph meant to resemble stained glass.

The Eucharistic Chapel

This space was where the original altars were located, until Vatican II moved the altar to the center of the assembly. This space was largely wasted until the renovation when designers added the Eucharistic Chapel surrounding the tabernacle. It is used for small Masses or events, or private meditation and prayer.

The Martyr's Chapel (South Side)

The mural is of the Risen Christ and Martyr's of the ancient Church and from around the world. The devotional crucifix is deliberately placed for people to touch it. The wood altar here and in Mary's Chapel are from 1889 and were in storage after the 1939 redecorating. In 2005, they were reinstalled and painted to look like marble.

Mary's Chapel (North Side)

Painted in the Byzantine style, this reredo represents all the saints of the Americas, and the visitation of our Lady of Guadalupe, the co-patron saint of Sacramento, to Saint Juan Diego. The blank space is there to remind us that any of us can become a saint.

The Organ

The organ is the third one to grace the cathedral. The first was built by J.C. and H.S. Odell for the St. Rose of Lima church, and was installed in the cathedral ten years later. It was replaced by a Schlicker organ in 1977. That one was rebuilt and nearly doubled in size during the 2005 renovation.

Pendatives

On the top of the four columns are the pendatives, which are curved triangles of vaulting formed by the intersection of a dome with its supporting arches, painted with representations of the four Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. On the columns, representations of the sacraments - Baptism, Holy Orders, Marriage, Confirmation, Anointing the Sick, Confession, and Communion.

The Sanctuary Lamp

The lamp signifying Christ's presence was installed in the Cathedral in 1903 but was taken out in the renovation of 1939 and eventually disappeared from the building. During the 2005 renovation, it was bought back for $5000 from a Sacramento resident who had possession of it.

The Sistine Madonna

A gift from benefactor Jane Stanford in 1891, it is one of two copies made of Raphael Sanzio's The Sistine Madonna, also called the Madonna di San Sisto, an altarpiece commissioned in 1512 by Pope Julius II for the church of San Sisto, Piacenza.

Stained Glass Windows

While the windows in the transepts and in the east end are original, the windows in the nave are the forth installment, and the windows in balcony were installed around the cathedral's centennial.

Stations of the Cross

Beginning on the north side and continuing around to the south side of the nave are the Stations of the Cross. The frames are original and the art was part of the Evergreene Studios work during the 2005 renovation.

The Statues of the Saints

The position of each statue has changed over the years, but they are original to the cathedral, and have been restored. As well as the Blessed Mother and Sacred Heart on either side of the east end, there is also St. Patrick, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

The Tabernacle

The 20-foot high tower housing the tabernacle is made from the same marble imported from China and Spain that make up the Baptismal Font. Its design mimics other design elements of the cathedral, like the exterior dome. The tabernacle itself is from the 1930's.

Tromp L'oeil

The style of "tricking the eye" is found throughout the cathedral, most of which was done by Evergreene Studios during the 2005 renovation. Some of it, however, is original, like the angels and caps over the main stained glass window on the east end.

Please reload

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

“毫无疑问,圣体大教堂的参观者将继续被它的大小、美丽和比例所吸引。但它的建筑和装饰只是为了将男人和女人引向他们所象征的更深层次的奥秘。上帝在这里“搭起了他的帐篷“当他聚集他的人民时,在我们中间;通过圣言和圣礼唤醒并加深他们的信仰;并陪伴他们度过人生的转变。圣体大教堂默默地见证了信仰的力量和希望在加利福尼亚州首府的胜利。”

                                         ~史蒂文·M·阿维拉神父~

1/2
1/2

“大教堂顶部的十字架从六英尺到八英尺不等,一共有七个。

那是很多十字架,还有很多金箔!但这也是萨克拉门托市中心关于生、死和圣体圣事之谜的重要声明。这些十字架提醒我们所有经过的人,上帝爱我们并为我们而死;尽管有这么多人想放弃,但基督的十字架赋予生命的痛苦和悲伤以意义;尽管我们人类陷入了仇恨和恐惧,但爱与美最终确实会获胜。这就是福音的好消息,它超越了任何一个时代的风格。”                                              

~詹姆斯·墨菲神父~